Monday, August 12, 2019

Balcony Bee

I almost never see bees like this up on my balcony. And never as consistently as this one. I refer to it as "the bee" but it could be a different bee each day or something. I never see more than one. For the past month I've seen a bee visit my plants each day. Perhaps it's the reason I have so many cucumbers this year. It's a timid little bee. When I get to close it just buzzes off.


In July I was seeing lots of small bee-like insects. Harmless little things that hover around the flowers. More than I've ever seen or noticed during previous seasons. Usually I just end up with hornets or yellow jackets or whatever they are, going after aphid "honeydew". But no aphids this year so far. Not even spider mites.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

I always end up getting a lone bee when I grow cucumbers too. I planted some flowers out this year, as well as letting some mint go to flower for them. They seem to be more interested in the cucumber flowers though. Must be very tasty! :) I too am balcony gardening in Toronto. Your harvest seems to be much bigger than mine though! Been at it for a few years now and barely anything. I'm trying some gaia fertilizer and using compost more consistently this year... which seems to be helping. We'll see. Really enjoying learning from a fellow balcony gardener.