Friday, September 10, 2010

Colourful Carrots

Time to pull the carrots. I started these over two months ago and kept them up in a relatively sunny spot next to the edge of the balcony. The tub (tote) I used was 10x16 and 12 inches deep. I worked some fertilizer into the potting soil before seeding and routinely watered with a diluted fertilizer mix. As they grew I thinned out the 'runts'. The carrots I got ranged from minuscule to an inch in diameter. The roots on the longest carrots reached down almost to the bottom of the tote and about half developed nice chubby shoulders. Purple Haze grew best for me although the Baby carrots fattened up nicely also, just didn't grow as long as I expected. The Snow Whites didn't turn out all that great but at least they taste like carrots. I don't think I'll grow them again but the Purple Haze will be on the balcony again next year, spring and summer, in a deeper container with richer soil.


No comments: