Thursday, August 31, 2017

End of the Season

I knew a week without water would be the end of my gardening adventures this year. The larger self-watering containers that had full reservoirs did ok, but this planter with tiny tom tomatoes and green onions couldn't handle the drought. Not enough rain last week. Not a chance. But there appears to be more at work here than just lack of moisture. The spider mites were starting to nibble away at some of the lower leaves and the plants were in a weakened state to begin with.


The Brandywine tomato plant is still doing well but hasn't put out any tomatoes. I started it too late and it's in a spot on the balcony that has never been all that great for tomatoes. Also, the cape gooseberry plants have shed most of their leaves and, I would say, are officially done. They each managed to put out a few fruits but the plants will be dead before they ripen.


Sounds like a horrible end to the season but all was not lost. My cucumber plants are withering too but I managed to pull this last harvest of cucs from the vines. The largest was 10.5 inches. We got lots of basil leaves this year and the plants are still putting out, despite being picked clear last week. And I still have some green onions.

No comments: