Saturday, August 22, 2015

After the drought

I was away from the balcony for a week and when I got back I wasn't feeling too well. So the balcony went through some neglect, including a long hot week with very little water. I had some watering devices setup but they were barely adequate. But even so, the only real harm done was some dried out leaves on the beans.

I planted some Charentais melon seeds a while back but had low expectations for the one plant I let live. I started it late and in the past I've been plagued with melon troubles. After being away for a week I was surprised to come home and see the vines covered with male and female flowers. I hand-pollinated a few and I'll keep watching for new female flowers. Unfortunately mildew is becoming a problem. I'll have to do something about that.

No comments: